Position Open: Program Manager, Transportation Options
Posted: February 7, 2014
Salary: Competitive based on qualifications
Deadline: First review of applications March 1. Open until filled.
Transit for Livable Communities (TLC) is expanding an exciting area of work that strengthens our commitment to transportation equity. This is a new position with responsibility on the TLC leadership team. The Transportation Options (TO) program, piloted in 2013, works with social service and economic empowerment organizations to reduce barriers to transit, bicycling and walking for economically challenged individuals. The program will build long-term capacity in partner organizations to integrate transportation more fully into basic needs services. As part of this process TLC is launching a more intensive model that provides comprehensive support to selected families, enabling them to realize the financial benefits of relying on transportation options rather than owning and maintaining a car. This is cutting edge work that addresses unmet needs in organizations and could contribute to changes in transportation resources at a social level.
- Continue to develop the Transportation Options program with an equity framework. The program manager will be well grounded in social justice as process and outcome and have an established or emerging local network of social justice peers.
- Deliver workshops that combine classroom and experiential learning to build organizational capacity in transportation options. This requires implementing resources for overall outcomes, organizing details, delivering content in an engaging format, and managing/nurturing numerous relationships.
- Manage program elements for prudent use of resources and sustained program impact. Manager must maintain and develop relationships with program partners and supervise GreenCorps Member in program delivery. Program elements include a pool of volunteer advocates recruited and trained by TLC and financial assistance/financial counseling administered through partner referring organizations. The program manager will develop a collaborative process (e.g., advisory committee) with partner organizations.
- Manage evaluation process to demonstrate outcomes clearly and effectively. The manager will execute Transportation Options for measurable results that include the tasks below:
- Develop and administer pre and post survey instruments of workshop participants
- Collect qualitative as well as quantitative data on program outcomes
- Organize evaluation resources to develop and execute comparative data across population groups
- Serve as part of organizational team, participating in collaborative effort toward changes in policy and law, institutional models, and the built environment for transportation.
- Exceptional ability to organize program elements and attend to details that deliver identified outcomes
- Demonstrated ability to carry out program evaluation
- Demonstrated ability to engage participants in a learning setting
- Demonstrated ability to relate to communities of color and populations striving for economic self-sufficiency
- Experience with transportation issues and/or in using transit, bicycling and walking as transportation
- Background in social work, public health, organizing, social justice, urban studies, planning, program evaluation or other relevant field(s)
- Ability to contribute to a collaborative team environment
- Excellent interpersonal and written communications skills
- Supervisory experience helpful
- AICP or planning experience a plus
We welcome applications until the position is filled and will begin screening/ interviewing in March. TLC will make an offer only after indication of our successfully securing new funds; notification from funders is expected in late March. The position will begin in April.
About Transit for Livable Communities
TLC is a nonprofit, nonpartisan organization working totransform Minnesota’s transportation system to strengthen communities, improve opportunity and health for all people, foster a sound economy, and protect natural resources.Our accessible, bicycle-friendly office is located at University and Raymond Avenues in Saint Paul, along the Green Line light rail line opening in June 2014. For background on TLC please see our web site – www.tlcminnesota.org
Email or mail a cover letter summarizing your experience and interest in the position and resume to:
Transit for Livable Communities
Attn: TO application
2356 University Avenue W, Suite 403,
Saint Paul, MN 55114
E-mail: joanp [at ] tlcminnesota.org
Transit for Livable Communities is an equal opportunity employer