The following projects are included in the Metropolitan Council's transit plan. Under the Transportation Choices 2020 initiative, all of these projects would have the funding to be completed by 2020. Communities across the metropolitan area are working to move these projects forward. Take a look at the updates!
- Bottineau Boulevard Transitway. A 13-mile light rail line from downtown Minneapolis to Robbinsdale, Crystal, Brooklyn Park, Maple Grove
- Cedar Avenue Busway. A 16 mile busway running from the Mall of America south to Burnsville, Eagan, Apple Valley, and Lakeville.
- Central Corridor Light Rail Transit. An 11-mile light rail line connecting downtown St. Paul and downtown Minneapolis by way of University and Washington Avenues.
- Gateway Corridor. Corridor running from Union Depot in downtown St. Paul and follows I-94 through Washington county out to western Wisconsin.
- Hiawatha Light Rail Transit. A 12-mile light rail line running south from downtown Minneapolis to the Airport and the Mall of America.
- Northstar Commuter Rail. A 40-mile, six-station commuter rail corridor linking downtown Minneapolis to Big Lake.
- Red Rock Commuter Rail. A 30-mile commuter rail corridor running north along Highway 61 from Hastings to St. Paul and on to Minneapolis.
- Rush Line Commuter Rail. An 80-mile corridor connecting downtown St. Paul with Hinckley.
- Southwest Light Rail Transit. A 14-mile light rail corridor extending southwest from downtown Minneapolis through Hopkins, St. Louis Park, Minnetonka, and Eden Prairie.
- I-35W Bus Rapid Transit. A 20-mile busway running from Burnsville to downtown Minneapolis.
Additional Projects Under Consideration
Robert Street Transitway
I-94 Transitway (east of St. Paul)
Cambridge Commuter Rail
Streetcars (various Minneapolis and St. Paul locations, including the Midtown Greenway)