By Allison Osberg, MN Greencorps Member (TLC)
[/cmsms_text][/cmsms_column][/cmsms_row][cmsms_row data_padding_bottom=”20″ data_padding_top=”0″ data_color=”default” data_width=”boxed”][cmsms_column data_width=”1/1″][cmsms_image align=”none” link=”http://www.tlcminnesota.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/TO_consultant_postcard_820px-WEB.png” animation_delay=”0″]6975|http://www.tlcminnesota.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/TO_consultant_postcard_820px-WEB.png|full[/cmsms_image][/cmsms_column][/cmsms_row][cmsms_row data_padding_bottom=”20″ data_padding_top=”0″ data_color=”default” data_width=”boxed”][cmsms_column data_width=”1/1″][cmsms_text animation_delay=”0″]
Transit for Livable Communities is embarking on a new, expanded Transportation Options program that addresses equity and empowerment in the realm of transportation—and you can be a part of this innovative program.
For the past year, we’ve been leading workshops for social service organizations interested in empowering the families they serve to address the high cost of getting around. The cost of transportation can be one of the highest expenses for working families, sometimes even more than housing.
This year, the Transportation Options program will be adding a new element of direct assistance to individuals. Volunteers within the Transportation Options program will become consultants who work one-on-one with the participants and clients at participating social service organizations.
We are looking to recruit transportation-savvy individuals interested in sharing their knowledge and experience in getting around without depending solely on a car. TLC will match each volunteer Transportation Options Consultant to a family or individual interested in trying multimodal transportation options in order to achieve greater economic self-sufficiency.
Consultants are essential in welcoming those families and individuals into the world of Transportation Options. They will serve as a key resource for navigating transit, bicycling, car sharing, and bike sharing systems and for developing a personalized route and routine. This is a great way to help other community members embrace greener, healthier, and more economical modes of transportation—and to benefit from mutual sharing and learning.
Transit for Livable Communities will provide training on program specifics and get volunteers up to speed on all transportation modes. We’ll also discuss healthy relationships and boundaries, cultural awareness, and proper safety. A needs-based stipend is available to eligible volunteers.
We are looking for volunteer consultants who:
• Understand the importance of transportation on an individual level
• Are confident and knowledgeable in their transportation options
• Understand the Twin Cities Metro Transit system
• Understand bicycles, their basic maintenance, how to ride them in traffic and in all seasons
• Understand how to use car sharing and bike sharing systems
• Are, or want to be, connected to their community and transportation resources
• Have a desire to learn from a neighbor and fellow commuter
• Can empathize with transportation as a difficulty and challenge (financially, physically, mentally)
• Are culturally competent and respectful to individuals of all backgrounds
• Will be in the Twin Cities for the next 6-9 months
• Show enthusiasm and excitement for the program
In addition, being a League Certified Instructor (LCI) of bicycle safety, multi-lingual, or having experience with low-income individuals is a big plus.
If you are interested, have questions, or want to apply to volunteer, contact Allison Osberg at email@example.com or 651-789-1403.